Monday, April 17, 2006

Of Surgeons, Queens and Rogues

Another week has come and gone... where I do not know.
Postings have been sparse of late, but I have multiple good reasons. Or, at least, multiple reasons.

For anyone out there keeping track of this, DH had his surgery. All went well, so he will be back in commission in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, all of the things that he does around here have fallen squarely on my head. Not that he does all that much, but what he does do is ugly, dirty, distasteful or involves killing poisonous things. (shudder) I have, in the last 6 days, had to kill multiple big-ass spiders, stick my hand down into a hole in the ground to turn on the valve to the sprinklers, (I don't know what was down there....and I DON'T WANT TO!) haul groceries in, drive everyone, everywhere, climb ladders, clean pool decks, move furniture, etc. I'm exhausted! All this in addition to the several million things I have to do before and after work. *sigh*

While he was having surgery, his vascular surgeon went on a mission to recruit me to the anesthesia department of his hospital. While DH was in recovery, I was interviewing with the chair of the department. I must give this a lot of thought. I love my position and my boss, but they are making me an offer that will be hard to refuse. Two 24 hour days. That's it. Each week. Five (count 'em) FIVE DAYS OFF EVERY WEEK!!!! NO CALL!!!!! Five days a week to knit!!!!!! (If they can come up with enough money to keep me in yarn!)

Because this was Easter weekend, and my son gave me tickets, we went to see the road production of "Phantom of the Opera", which was phenomenal! My daughter brought her roomate from college and her boyfriend. She was able to discuss all the technical aspects of the production, which made me realize, suddenly, that she is actually learning someting in college! Whoopie!!!!

Oh, you ROGUE

I did manage to keep working on the Rogue hoodie, through all of this, and finally got to the cables. (Did I mention that I've never done cables before?!?)
Does anyone think that I may have overestimated my ablity? Does this LOOK right?


I'm knitting this with Gedifra "Top Soft". The stitches are VERY well defined in stockinette stitch, and look wonderful. This is as far as I've gotten with the cable, so it's a little hard to tell if it's ok. The yarn may be a little too elastic to do well, or I may be a little inexperienced. Either way, I shall press on!

Take me to le CIRQUE

I finished my Jaywalker socks last week, so I wanted to start some new ones. It took a little while, since I needed to sit down and read the instructions for Mary Ann Beattie's "Queen Kahuna's Crazy Toes and Heels Socks". I've never done "toe-up" socks before, either, so this one may take a minute, but I'm doing them simultaneously on two circular needles.
The yarn is Katia "Mississippi" print...not a true "sock yarn", but it seems to fit the bill, and I like what the colors are doing, after the "pooling" that I got with the Lorna's Laces yarn on the Jaywalker socks. I'm not sure what I'm going to make these into, but I'm increasing like mad! I do absolutely LOVE the toes!
This is the long tail cast on method. I HATE Kitchener stitch, so this is my chicken-shit way of avoiding it! Works for me! I may never knit top down again!!!! Let Le Cirque du Socks continue!

I am itching to cast on something else, as well, but I think this is still reaction to the bout of monogamous knitting during the Olympics. I sure hope I get over it fairly soon! I may run out of needles!

Look for more this week, as I'm taking a lot of call and may get a lot more done! Until then, I'm still Half a Sheep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ava said...

I'm with ya! I'm doing toe up for Cirque du Socks and may never do kitchner again! I feel like I've been liberated. OK, it wasn't that bad, but almost.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I'm new here and love your blog! Hope your hubby is better soon, and good luck with the new job. I may be coming to the Dallas metroplex area soon...got any LYS suggestions?

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home